Epping Primary School is devoted to extending the learning experiences for our students through the reintroduction of the Italian language.
On a weekly basis, students from Prep to Year 6 participate in Italian classes with a focus on:
- Socialising - Interacting with the teacher and peers to introduce themselves, naming and describing favourite things, friends, family members and special talents through action related talk and play.
- Informing - Locating specific items of information in texts using early literacy skills.
- Creating - Participating in shared reading/viewing of short imaginative texts and responding by drawing, miming, performing and through other forms of expression.
- Translating - Sharing with others what they can express in Italian and explaining to others the meanings of particular words and when they are used, for example; ciao.
- Reflecting – Beginning to notice what is ‘new’ or ‘interesting’ in the Italian language and culture while recognising similarities and differences between Italian and Australian cultural practices.
- Understanding - Reproducing the sounds of the Italian language.
The Languages curriculum aims to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to ensure that students:
- Communicate in the language they are learning,
- Understand the relationship between language, culture and learning,
- Develop intercultural capabilities, and
- Understand themselves as communicators.